Tuesday, 1 January 2013

Book Review: Slammed by Collen Hoover





Title: Slammed
Author: Colleen Hoover
Series: #1
Pages: 314
Genre: Romance
Release Date: January 5th 2012


Following the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and younger bother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she’s losing hope.

Enter Will Cooper: The attractive, 21-year-old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry and a unique sense of humor. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope.

Not long after an intense, heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelations forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feeling that pull them together, and the secret that keeps them apart.

As I have said before I have read a lot of books recently, so it isn’t very often that a book surprises me. My God did this book surprise me! After seeing it come up on my suggestions board and reading the blurb through a few times I wasn’t sure if the poetry thing was for me. Deciding I would give it a go anyway, I’m so glad that I did!

Layken, our narrator, begins the story as her, her younger brother Kel, and her Mum move after her father dies. Lake isn’t at all impressed with her Mum’s decision to uproot her southern family to a small town in Michigan as she is still grieving the loss of her father. Lake can’t see any reason why she would want to live in tiny house, surrounded by too much concrete. That is until she meets Will, the hot neighbour from across the street. Their connection is obvious and when Will takes Lake to a Slam Poetry night, a poetry competition where poets read original poems which are then scored by previously selected members of the audience, she’s mesmerised by it. As Will takes the stage Lake discovers that behind his easy, carefree nature he hides a devastating past.

Just as they begin falling for each other new information is uncovered, forcing the two become ‘just friends’. While they try to distance themselves from each other it seems as though the universe has other plans.

Colleen Hoover’s writing is amazing. She can get you to feel so connected to the characters that they literally come to life before your eyes. While I was originally worried about the poetry aspect of the story, I found myself completely absorb in it. Just as Layken was, discovering a world I didn’t know existed and wondering why? The ‘slam’ poetry was completely beautiful and gut wrenching. Every time there was a slam performance I felt so emotionally involved I couldn’t tear my eyes from the pages. It was as if I was sitting in the audience myself watching the performance. I couldn’t believe how powerful and inspiring these words were to me! I was actually crying throughout the book, but in a completely good way.

I find with some stories there are characters that seem to be there just to fill space on the page. Slammed doesn’t do that. Every single character in the story has a purpose. I love Eddie and her amazing friendship and strength that inspires you and Julia who is a beautiful mother with incredible advice and the innocence of Kel who had to deal with his fathers death that his doesn’t even understand.  

And I love Will! I know I say this about a lot of the male leads, but I seriously love him! He is such an amazing, strong and passionate person. I think I want to move to Michigan, find him, marry him, and have his babies! LOL.

This book is so much more than your typical love story. It’s so incredible and intense all at the same time. I would recommend that everyone read it. I swear that I will read every book Colleen Hoover writes until I get too old to see anything. Then I will pay my not yet existent children to read them for me. Hahaha!

Definitely one of my favourites! I’d give it five stars.

                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment below...