Tuesday, 1 January 2013

Book Review: Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire





Title: Beautiful Disaster
Author: Jamie McGuire
Series: #1
Pages: 437
Genre: Romance
Release Date: May 26th 2011


Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate number of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance from the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University’s Walking One-Night Stand.

Travis Maddox, lean, cut and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby wants – and needs – to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea he has met his match.

It’s safe to say that Beautiful Disaster is one of my favourite books of all time. I don’t think I could say one thing I didn’t like about it. Truly! I loved nearly every sentence, of every chapter of the book.

After receiving a Kobo for my birthday and not having read for many years I went in search of a book. I am so glad that I found this one. After I was finished all I could think was ‘WOW! I need to read more.’ I have already read it 5 times in the last 5 months; and I think I could continue to read it over and over again. I will never get sick of it.

The story is told through the eyes of Abby, a good girl with has a secret past. Her life is flipped on it’s head when she decides to go with best friend America and her boyfriend Shepley to Eastern University’s underground fighting scene ‘The Circle’, to watch Shepley’s cousin fight. Enter, Travis. He has everything you could want in a Book Boyfriend (BB); chiselled muscles under tattooed skin, a reputation as the college ‘bad boy’, who has a loving, sweet, protective and amazingly romantic side thrown in. Seriously the list could go on and on … However, when Abby meets Travis he’s the kind of guy who doesn’t have relationships, he has sex. He has more girls to choose from than issues of Vogue Magazine. When Abby isn’t immediately drawn to him as he is so accustom to, Travis sets his sights on her. Completely unaware of the pull she has on him. Travis is suddenly determined to prove that he has changed his ways and is willing to fight for her love.

I think what I love most about this book is that it is so believable. The book draws you in from the very second that Abby and Travis meet. Who wouldn’t want to read a story about a womanising, ladies man who finds a girl that makes him rethink everything he knows, and want to change his past ways? It is the ultimately “can she fix him?” story. But she is hiding a secret past that keeps you wondering and wanting to know more.

There are not many books that I have read that compare to the love I have for this novel. I would read anything Jamie McGuire writes in a second. It may have ruined all other books for me! Except of course it’s much anticipated sequel “Walking Disaster” the story from Travis’s point of view. We are literally counting down the days till April 16th 2013. This may just make my obsession worse … that and the information that Beautiful Disaster is being made into a movie. Click Here to visit my post on actors I think should play the characters.

If only Travis was real! *sigh*

I have read some other reviews on this book where people have said that Travis comes across as insane and abusive. I don’t agree at all! He is a strong tempered character, who is so in love that it tears him apart. It shows how deeply he cares for and loves Abby. As for the abusive, I don’t remember him ever hitting her or swearing at her, so what were you reading?

                                                       

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could marry this book:)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment below...