Saturday, 29 December 2012

Book Review: Taking Chances by Molly McAdams




Title: Taking Chances
Author: Molly McAdams
Series: NA
Pages: 331 (kindle) - 432 (printed)
Genre: Romance/Coming Of Age
Release Date: September 1st 2012


When I found Taking Chances on goodreads with a 4.01 rating I was very excited to start reading. That night as I was reading I thought that it was going to be one of my favourite books of all time. Right up there with Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire.

Eighteen year old Harper has grown up under her career Marine of a father’s thumb. Ready to live life her own way and experience things she’s only ever heard of from the jarheads in her father’s unit; she’s on her way to college at San Diego State University.

Thanks to her new roommate, Harper is introduced to a world of parties, gorgeous guys, family and emotions. Some she wasn’t expecting yet, others she never knew she was missing.

She finds herself being torn in two as she quickly falls in love with her boyfriend Brandon, and her roommate’s brother Chase. Cover in tattoos, known for fighting in the Underground and ridiculously muscled … they’re exactly what she was always warned to stay away from, but just what she needs. Despite their dangerous looks and histories, both adore and would do anything for Harper, including stepping back if it means she’s happy.

Her first year away is turning out to be near perfect, but one weekend of giving in to heated passion will change everything.

Molly McAdams writing was amazing. I instantly fell in love with the characters and the way that Harper was torn between two loves. I knew how I wanted the story to end as soon as we were introduced to Chase. I was immediately drawn to him. I haven’t felt this way about any male character of a book since Beautiful Disaster.

If the story had stopped at about 50% I think that I would have loved Chase more than Travis. However the story was heartbreaking. Not in a way that you come out of a story feeling heartbroken but having understood why, like Jodi Picoult is famous for. No this was heartbreaking in a way that, even 3 months after finishing, I still can’t understand. The book has stayed in my mind all this time, and I still can’t get over the way it ended. I just don’t understand why someone would write such a fantastic story to murder it half way through. Yes … I said murder. McAdams stabbed it until there was nothing left. Only letters and sentences that I hated! I wanted to throw my Kobo against the wall and never read another book again. That is seriously how devastated I was. I found myself telling anyone who would listen about the story and what it had done to me.

I liked Harper but I didn’t agree with all the decisions she made. I found myself trying to block out what I had read and picture how I would like the story to have finished. I understand that in life there are not always happy endings, but that is why we read, isn’t it? To escape from the realities of our lives and journey into someone else’s happily ever after. They are meant to be uplifting and make you think that everything is going to be okay.

I hated how McAdams thought that she could just fix the heartbreak by making it into another happy ending. Did she think that we would all forget? Move on? Not me I couldn’t get over the tragedy and I don’t think I ever will.

I would recommend reading it ONLY if you stop at the point where you are completely happy.

I don’t think that I will ever read another McAdams book for the fear that I will not be able to move from sadness! Why authors ruin there stories is beyond me. Sometimes I would prefer have a predictably story rather than a twist that will leave you depressed and wondering why.

                                                           

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree. This book is so utterly frustrating I fumed over it for days. I have never read anything that made me want to destroy me e reader. Chase was easy to fall in love with and his fate upsetting. Don't bother with this book.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment below...